Thursday 11 September 2008

All these lovely people, where do they all come from?

Now that I have the perception of having more time (I don't, really, but I'll get to that in a moment), I've been spending more time at the gym during the day. It's a co-ed, with all sorts of cardio and weight machines, as well as a goodly number of group classes. When I used to (try to) go in the evenings, the place is absolutely packed to the rafters... 20 minute or more wait times just to get a treadmill or a recumbent bike! Now that I go during the day, I see that the place is still busy.... not packed to the rafters, but busy.

Where do all of these people come from?

Sure, there is the noticable crowd of seniors, and the moms who drop their kids off at the daycare so that they can get in an hour of selfcare, but the majority seem to be 25-50, well-dressed, professional-looking folks of both genders. Are there that many people out of work? Are there that many people who work shifts? Are there that many people who have planned their lives carefully and can retire early?

Shrug.

I tried my first group class this week... a combination of tai chi, yoga and pilates. I was always a big leary of attending group fitness classes... there's something about the really buff gym bunnies that I found intimidating (I am many things, but buff gym bunny is not one of them!). Must say that I absolutely loved the class!!! I wasn't the only one struggling to hold the balance positions, but the instructor was very encouraging, saying that it takes most people 6 or 8 sessions before their balance is improved enough. I will definitely be finding time in my busy schedule for this class!!!

So what am I spending my time on? Preserving fruit and vegetables (75 jars full of jams, salsas, fruit in syrup), volunteering with two different organizations, a couple of garden/yard projects, working out with a personal trainer a couple of times a week, working on my art, reading my favourites on the personal finance blog-o-sphere, reading books, listening to audio books, connecting with friends and family, doing a bit of contract webwork, meditating, and, oh, yeah... looking for a lucritive full-time-ish job. I start a night class in a couple of weeks time.

These past two months have definitely convinced me that I am on a good path... a life of financial independence allows one the ability to choose what she wants to do, when she wants to do it. While I am not yet completely financially independent, I am working on it DRIP by DRIP, little by little, one step at a time. The journey is a good one....

No comments: