Wednesday 6 August 2008

In praise of Fringe Festivals...

Just settling back at home after some time away. My family had a reunion of sorts out west. I usually make one trip back to the Prairies every year, but that's usually at Christmas time. I actually got to see Saskatchewan when the temperature wasn't -20C and the ground wasn't covered with snow!!!! It was fabulous to see old family friends and distant relatives for the first time literally in decades. A lot of chinwagging, reminiscing and reaquainting going on. It is always good to be surrounded by supportive friends and relatives.

I also got the opportunity to do a day at the Saskatoon Fringe Festival. I'm a big fan (can we say obsessed?) with Fringe! Once you fringe, you will become addicted. Not a bad addiction to have!!!

My sweetie and I are big into Fringing. In Ottawa this year, I managed to see 46 out of the 53 or so shows on offer. Some shows are incredible, others are more mundane. Occasionally one runs into a dud, but for the most part, they are entertaining, engaging and often thought provoking.

In Saskatoon, we lucked into a particularly exceptional show called "Spiral Dive", the story of a young man from the prairies who becomes a fighter pilot during WWII. It is the first part of a three part series... I can't wait for part two!

If you are reading this from Saskatoon, or Edmonton, or Vancouver or Victoria (or within possible travel distance to any of these cities)... there is still time for you to partake of some fantabulous live theatre, coming soon to your city! For the rest of us, we'll have to wait until next year.

No comments: